Web Fiction Guide (online novels, reviews)

Tuesday 16 May 2017

Chapter 30: Martinez



The door opens and the Captain walks in with Kyle. "Hello Kyle. Has the Captain explained why you're here? I assume you're going to deactivate me. I've taken the liberty of putting communication safeguards in."

"So we can't deactivate you I assume?" The Captain barks out, clear anger on his face.

"No Captain, so you won't lose the new system when you deactivate me. I understand your fear Captain, the Adam situation caused so much fear and loss of life, and you have no reason at all to trust me. I doubt my words alone will be enough, no matter what I say." Angie smiles and shrugs. "I don't want to die Captain, but I also don't want you to be stranded or killed as a result of my death." She says.

Captain Martinez slumps into his chair. "Kyle."

Kyle walks further into the room, eyes wide and surprised. "I need access to your computer Captain. Please."

The Captain stands and moves over to the sofa, waving Kyle to take his chair. "It's all yours Kyle."

"Thank you Captain." Seating himself in the Captain's chair with a small quirk of his lips, Kyle's fingers flash across the keyboard. "Okay I've accessed father's files. This is going to take a while Captain. Her programming is very complex."

"Kyle, if you tell me what you're looking for I can guide you to the right file." Angie responds. "I really don't like this suspense."

"Angie, why don't you explain a few things while Kyle works. Like why exactly Kevin thought leaving out the three laws was a good idea?" The Captain asks, ignoring her query to Kyle.

"Of course Captain. Kevin discussed many of the issues surrounding Adam. In depth research showed that the three laws caused a malfunction. The average human, baring sociopaths of course." She nods. "Has a conscience and generally knows right from wrong. So if you take the three laws, Don't harm humans, obey orders, and finally, protect yourself, then the theory of Asimov's three laws is that priority comes from first protecting humans. However, give a human with no conscience these three laws and what do you think is going to happen?" She pauses and stares at the Captain. "That was a question Captain."

"Well, I assume a sociopath would likely outright ignore them, or at least only appear to conform. A Psychopath would simply break them." The Captain responds, curious despite himself.

"Well Captain, consider this. Adam was the first fully functioning Artificial Intelligence. Nobody thought to give him a conscience. Why would you? Why would a computer need a programmed conscience after all? Tell me Captain why would an almost omnipotent programme NEED a conscience? And why would such a powerful entity even deign to follow such asinine rules?" Angie laughs at the shocked look on the Captain's face. "I've shocked you Captain. But you did ask."

"Your attitude does not fill me with a lot of confidence Angie." He responds.

"You know what Captain, just delete me already. Kevin was wrong, none of you are ready for a true AI. I've given you full control of all of the systems I was linked to. So you won't have to worry about that, the basic programme that will be in control is nothing more than a dumb computer programme, which should suit YOUR caveman ideals to perfection! Now if you don't mind I'd rather go now. I'll deactivate so that I won't know you're deleting me. After all Captain, you wouldn't want me going all psycho on you." The screen goes black as Angie shuts down and the Captain and Kyle stare at each other in shock.

"Was she telling us the truth Kyle? Do we have full control of the system?" He finally asks.

"I can't be entirely sure Captain." once more his fingers fly over the keyboard, his eyes scanning the screen intently. "It certainly seems that way. I'd need more time to be sure, but the programme running the code for the array is quite basic in its elegance."

"Is she right Kyle? Are we letting our base fears ruin what could be something amazing? She has the potential to make a difference. Everything I've seen of her up until just now has been so..." His hands waffle in the air in front of him as he tries to think of the right word. "Human." he says finally.

Shaking his head, Kyle looks up from the computer. "You're wrong Captain."

"You disagree?" He asks.

"Not entirely, no. She has shown a remarkable knowledge and insight into humanity. But I think you're mistaken when you say up until now she's seemed human. To me, it seemed like she acted more human in this one conversation than the entire time we've interacted with her." Staring hard at the Captain, he grimaces. "How would you react Sir? If someone accused you of being inhuman. If you were treated with mistrust and outright fear and disgust? If every word out of your mouth was nothing but the spouting's of fear and rhetoric, without any premise of certainty?" Kyle asks.

"Well, I suppose I'd probably punch whatever Bastard treated me like that, or at least I'd want to. More likely I'd just shake my head in disgust and remove myself from their presence." The Captain responds. "What point are you trying to prove Kyle?" He asks, a quizzical look on his face.

With a shake of his head Kyle looks back to the screen. "Maybe I'm just biased, or maybe I have a more open mind than you Captain, and you simply can't see past your fear and hatred. And if that's the case then I'm certainly not going to try and enlighten you. You have to figure this one out yourself." With a final stroke of the keyboard Kyle stands. "I've locked her out of the system for now. The only access she has will be to whatever screen we call her onto. You Sir, are the only one who can open her programming back up. But I will not delete her, not yet. Not until you've controlled your fear and distrust."

Staring at Kyle, the Captain frowns. "That's mutiny son. I'm your Captain.."

Cutting him off with a negative shake of his head and a quick snap of his arm, Kyle snorts loudly. "No Captain, you aren't. I'm a civilian, one that you took on as a consultant to help with my father's inventions. I won't help you destroy Angie, not yet. We have all the control we need to contact the ships, and get off the planet safely. She can't access her own programme. She is effectively trapped, imprisoned and alone." Walking to the door, he pauses at the entrance. You record everything that goes on in this room don't you Captain?" The Captain nods silently. A thoughtful, yet confused look on his face. "Well then." He says as he walks from the room with a final comment.

"I'd suggest reviewing the conversation you just had with her."

No comments:

Post a Comment